from Clabaugh & Rozycki Analyzing Controversy
Links Checked 3/14/18
Pre-analysis (form, partisanship)
1. Can you state the apparent controversy as a
2. Are there representatives for both sides of the issue?
Problems of Understanding (slogans, reifications, definitions,
pseudo-solutions, name-calling, presuppositions.)
3. What are the critical terms upon which this
Problems of Fact (Feelings, etc. ; Authority, Operationalizing, Inquiry
a. Give the definitions on which there seems to be
b. Are there other problems of understanding?
4. What are the issues of fact underlying this
a. What sources of fact (authorities) are recognized
by both parties?
b. Are there other issues relating to fact that need clarification?
Problems of Value (Fact & value, benefits & costs, responsibility)
5. What issues of value are there which relate to
Meta-analysis ( logical errors, problems with consensus, commitments to a
special theory of society, agendas maintaining conflict)
6. Are there metaproblems?